Australian Citizenship

The Shire of Gingin conducts a number of citizenship ceremonies for new residents every year. It can be a very exciting, humbling or proud moment for new citizens when they officially become 'residents of the land down under'.  

Holding a Citizenship Ceremony

If you have applied for citizenship to become an Australian then once your application has been approved, the Department of Home Affairs: Immigration and Citizenship will contact the Shire of Gingin (or whichever local government area that you currently reside in) to advise of the success of your application.

Shire staff will then contact you to arrange a Citizenship Ceremony within the next 6 months. The Shire holds Citizenship Ceremonies regularly throughout the year - generally once every 3 months. In January however, a Citizenship Ceremony is held on Australia Day at the Shire's annual Australia Day Picnic Breakfast held at Neergabby.

The applicant, along with their family and friends, will enjoy a professional, friendly ceremony which will conclude with light refreshments.

What is the waiting time for a ceremony?

The waiting period for a citizenship ceremony at the Shire of Gingin once you have received the approval letter from the Department of Home Affairs is between 3-6 months.

What do I do if I can’t attend the ceremony I’ve been invited to?

Please notify us of your unavailability and we will advise the Department of Home Affairs who will reschedule you for another date.

There is not an alternative to attending a citizenship ceremony in person and making the pledge.

Where are the ceremonies held? 

Ceremonies are held in the Council Chambers at the Shire of Gingin Administration Centre, 7 Brockman Street, Gingin. 

If you are invited to attend a Citizenship Ceremony in January on Australia Day however, then they will be held at the Neergabby Grounds on Gingin Brook Road as part of the Shire's Australia Day Picnic Breakfast event

What do I need to bring with me to my ceremony?

You need to bring one form of photo identification, i.e. a driver's licence, passport or an official document with a photograph.

If you do not have photo identification, then bring at least three (3) documents showing your name, address and signature, e.g. a bank statement, utility bills or credit card statements.

If you are under 16 then you do not need to bring photo identification.

How many guests can I bring to the ceremony? 

There is no specific cap on numbers but if you intend to bring more than 20 persons (including yourself), please let the Shire know in advance. 

Do children need to attend the ceremony? 

Children aged 16 years and over are legally required to attend their Citizenship Ceremony and take the Citizenship Pledge to become an Australian citizen. Children under the age of 16 are not legally required to attend.

Which pledge should I take and what is the difference? 

There are two Pledges. For Pledge 1 the Oath refers to God, whereas Pledge 2 does not. You will say the version of Pledge that you chose on your application.

The Presiding Officer will ask you to repeat the Australian Citizenship Pledge out loud at your ceremony. Once you have said the Pledge, you will become an Australian citizen.

A copy of the Pledge will be made available at the ceremony. You will be asked to make your Pledge in groups and not individually.

Can I take photographs at the ceremony? 

Generally an official photograph will be taken of each recipient as they receive their certificate from the Presiding Officer by a Shire officer. These are complimentary and will be provided to each recipient via email following the ceremony.

If you wish to take your own photographs you will have an opportunity to do so during the ceremony. If you attend the Australia Day Picnic Breakfast in Neergabby however, then we ask that you wait to take any photographs with your own phone/camera until after the official ceremony has concluded. The Presiding Officer will be available at this time for you to take your own photos.

What should I do if I lose my Citizenship Certificate or it is damaged? 

You will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to arrange a replacement via their website or phone 131 880. The Shire of Gingin cannot issue or replace citizenship certificates.


For more information about this process, please contact the Shire of Gingin on (08) 9575 5100