Organise an Event

Holding a public event can be a lot of fun. Events bring a community together and can attract visitors from out of town too. However, knowing just where to start can be a bit daunting! 

This page has been created to help make the process a bit simpler. Ultimately we get that you want to have a fun event and have it be safe but without the headache of excessive amounts of red tape to ensure safety standards are met. Whatever you want to do, we can help get you started and our staff are always happy to answer any questions you may have.  

We've answered some Frequently Asked Questions for you already as follows. 

Do I need to submit an Event Application Form?

If you answer YES to one or more of the following questions then you will need to submit an Event Application Form.

  • Is the location of the event at a public reserve, park or beach?
  • Will food be sold or a donation for food/entry be charged?
  • Will alcohol be sold, provided or BYO* allowed?
  • Will any marquees be erected?
  • Will there be any loud noise after 7:00pm (e.g. music)?
  • Will over 200 or more people be in attendance at your event?

The form doesn't take too long to complete and by completing it you will ensure that you check off all of those necessary tasks to make sure you have the correct safety standards in place to run a safe and successful event.  

Please note that an Event Application should be completed and submitted to the Shire at least 10 weeks prior to the proposed event.

Approval for your event including any requirements, fees and bond payments (if applicable) will be outlined in the approval notification.

Event Application Form

If you would prefer a hard copy please contact our Events Officer on (08) 9575 5139 or email

*BYO Allowed – A liquor licence is not required for the consumption of alcohol. However, it is an offence under the Liquor Control Act 1988 to consume alcohol on Council premises including public open spaces/reserves without the permission of the relevant local government authority.

Why does the Shire need to be informed about my event?

The Shire of Gingin’s event application process is a requirement in order to ensure that the proposed event will be complicit with legislative and local government policy requirements. This includes compliance areas such as noise, health standards, temporary structures, traffic management and liquor licensing regulations for third party events. This process is not new and local governments have such processes in place to ensure that both organisers and attendees will have a safe and successful event.

As the event applicant (Event Coordinator) it is your responsibility to ensure that all required permits are obtained and any relevant legislation or regulations are complied with. The Shire of Gingin needs to confirm this and also needs to ensure that the event is run safely with minimal impact to the community/participants.

For Example:

  • If food is being supplied or sold at an event then the Shire of Gingin needs to ensure that the ‘caterer’ (e.g. community group, food truck, etc.) is well informed of food safety and hygiene standards and/or has commercial food registration.
  • If there is a party at a community hall then the Shire needs to confirm that the event applicant will take into account noise regulations to ensure the party does not become a nuisance to local residents.
  • A community event may result in traffic and parking issues for local residents so in that instance the Shire may request a traffic management plan to reduce potential impacts.
  • A park may be closed due to works being undertaken and as such, alternative locations would need to be chosen prior to the event.

Note: As per the Public Health Act 2016 and Health (Public Building) Regulations 1992, failure to inform the Local Government Authority (LGA) may result in penalties.

TIP: Event organisers wanting further information can find it in the WA Department of Health’s Guidelines for Concerts, Events and Organised Gatherings

We already lease a Shire building so do we still need to apply for an Event Application too?

If your group/club answered ‘yes’ to one or more questions under the first drop down heading above (Do I need to submit an Event Application Form?) for a specific event (e.g. movie night or social event, etc.) that is held several times over a 12 month period and there will be no alcohol at the event, then your group/club will:

  • Only need to submit 1 x event application for the first event for each year;
  • Need to advise the date of each subsequent event 8 working days prior to each event; and
  • Need to advise if there are any changes to the event plans that are different to those submitted in the original application at least 4 weeks in advance.

Community group/clubs that lease a Shire facility are strongly encouraged to notify the Shire of all events and activities at their leased facility (including those not requiring an event application). This data informs the Shire of actual usage and will assist in determining the allocation of consumable supplies, prioritising maintenance and the future needs of the leased site/facility. This information can be provided quarterly when notifying the Shire of GST payments associated with venue bookings.

How soon do I need to apply for an Event Application?

Ideally an Event Application should be submitted to the Shire at least 10 weeks prior to the event date however, if it is a small and simple event the application can be submitted up to 4 weeks prior.

It takes approximately 10 working days to process an application. However additional time may be required to enable the Shire to liaise with you should there be questions and/or additional information requirements. It is important to promptly follow up on any queries especially if there is a limited lead up time to the event date.

Event applications received within 3 weeks of the event date may not be assessed and therefore not considered for Shire approval.

Note: During the peak event period (i.e. spring to summer period) the assessment priority of event applications will be given by the date order of the events which will result in a longer processing period processing period for events that are several months ahead.

What happens after I have lodged my application?

Once your Event Application has been lodged it will be sent to the relevant Departments of the Shire to review and comment on their relevant areas.

This Event Application process will generally take around 10 working days after which you will receive feedback about your Event Application. If your event is approved subject to conditions then you will need to provide the required information or permit application's two weeks prior to the event.

When all the conditions have been satisfactorily met the event applicant will receive follow-up correspondence prior to the event advising that the event has been approved.

Can You Spare Us Your Feedback?

Once your event has occurred the Shire would appreciate your feedback with relation to improving the Event Application process. Please complete the Feedback Form available on of the Shire’s website.

Liquor & Gaming Licences

Do you require a Gaming Licence for a Bingo night? Do you require a Liquor Licence for a Sporting Wind-Up? 

These questions are answered on the Department of Local Government, Sport & Cultural Industry's website.

Events Trailer

The Shire has a small Events Trailer that can be hired ($200 bond) to assist with event preparation and set-up.

The trailer contains bollard and bases, various lengths of flagging, various signs, star pickets with plastic caps, a gimpy hammer and more.

If you would like to use the Events Trailer for your event please specify yes or no in the Event Application Form

Not what you were looking for?

If you were seeking information on other related topics, you can find it here on our website:

Upcoming Shire Events

Filming & Photography at Events and locations around the Shire