Abandoned Vehicles

It is an offence under the Local Government Act 1995 to leave or abandon your vehicle in a public place, on a carriage way or in a road reserve in excess of 24 hours. Where the Shire considers a vehicle is unlawfully parked, abandoned, unregistered or disused then the Shire may impound that vehicle. 

Types of abandoned vehicles can include:

  • Motor vehicles
  • Buses
  • Caravans
  • Trucks
  • Trailers
  • Boat trailers

Abandoned vehicles may be reported to the Shire's Rangers by calling (08) 9575 5140 or by reporting it online via the Shire's website. 

Processing an Abandoned Vehicle

Once the Shire receives a report of an alleged Abandoned Vehicle, a Shire Ranger will be dispatched to attend the location, carry out an investigation and if required, commence the “Abandoned Vehicle” process. This process will be as follows: 

  1. The Shire (as required by the Local Government Act 1995) will make all reasonable attempts to contact the last known registered owner of the vehicle. If an owner is identified then the Shire will allow a maximum of 7 days for the vehicle to be moved onto private property before it is impounded. 'Abandoned Vehicle' stickers may be applied to the vehicle during this period.
  2. In the event that the vehicle has not been moved onto private property after 7 days then the Shire will arrange for the vehicle to be towed and impounded immediately.
  3. Unless deemed a wreck,  impounded vehicles will be stored for a period of 2 months. Following the completion of this period, the vehicle may be sold by public tender or disposed of by other means.
  4. Where a vehicle is considered to be dangerous by the Police, it may be removed within 24 hours.

Note: The process for abandoned vehicles may be impacted by a number of factors. Consequently the removal of an abandoned vehicle may take up to 14 days.

Claiming an Impounded Vehicle

When a vehicle is impounded it incurs a number of fees. Before an impounded vehicle can be released to the vehicle owner, these fees must be paid. Additionally, the vehicle owner will need to provide proof of ownership and a driver’s licence before they are granted access to the vehicle. 

What disposal options do I have for a vehicle I no longer want?

You can consider the following options:

  1. Contact a scrap metal merchant that collects cars
  2. Contact a motor vehicle wrecker that collects for wrecking
  3. Identify an organisation that may at times accept old vehicles for donation, i.e. TAFE, DFES, etc.


    If you do not claim your vehicle the Shire may dispose of it at your expense 

Unclaimed Vehicles

Unless deemed a wreck, if the owner has not responded to any attempts of contact after 2 months then the vehicle may be sold by tender/auction or disposed of by other means. Register of Encumbered Vehicles (REV) checks are performed on all vehicles before they are advertised for public tender/auction to ensure they are not encumbered. All disposals are:

  • Advertised in the local newspaper; and
  • Displayed on the Shire's public notice board at the Gingin and Lancelin Administration Centre and on the Shire's website. 

Abandoned Vehicles on non-Shire Roads

For vehicles abandoned on Indian Ocean Drive or Brand Highway, please contact Main Roads WA on 13 81 38 or go to the Mainroads WA website