Fire Information

For any emergency, call 000 straight away. 

For more information on bush fires and how to find out what to do if one is affecting you, see below. 

Fire plays an integral role in Australia's landscape. It is both a tool for humanity but also a danger when it takes the form of a bush fire. 

The Shire of Gingin takes bush fire management very seriously and as such, on our website you can find a wealth of information. Click through the following links to learn more on topics of interest: 

Building - Bush Fire Prone Areas

Bush Fire Plans - do you have one?

Contacts - Fire Break Contractors

Contacts - Fire Control Officers

Contacts - Volunteer Fire Brigades

Legal Obligations - Fire Break Orders

Legal Obligations - Fire Bans

Fire Break Orders & Bushfire Information

Firebreak Variation Application Form

Property Protection - Burning off your Bush Block safely

Property Protection - Fire Proofing your Property

Subscribe - Fire Ban SMS Notices

Road Verge Slashing - who is responsible?

Volunteering - Emergency Services

Burning Periods

Depending upon the time of year, burning may be restricted or not permitted. Burning periods define what activities are allowed during these different periods of risk.

The Shire may vary Burning Periods depending upon weather and other conditions, so it's essential that you adhere to the dates set for Prohibited, Restricted, and Unrestricted Burning Periods as listed below:

Prohibited Burning Period:

All burning and fires are prohibited during this time including cooking/camp fires and solid fuel BBQs.

1 December to 15 April

Restricted Burning Period:

(No burning on Sundays/Public Holidays)

You need a permit to burn grass/bush land, paddocks, garden refuse piles greater than 1m x 1m, or 1m x 1m piles outside stipulated burn times, or multiple 1m x 1m piles.
Details about permits can be found in the Firebreak Orders.

16 April to 15 May (autumn)

1 October to 30 November (spring)

Unrestricted Burning Period:

(Burning allowed on any day)

There are no fire restrictions on burning. However, health legislation is still applicable. Let your neighbours know you intend to burn and consider the impact.

It's also advisable to notify DFES to prevent unnecessary call-outs which can sometimes happen with planned burns. Call 9395 9209 to register your burn with DFES.

16 May to 30 September

Permit to Burn

If you need to apply for a Permit to Burn, go to link below and complete an application online: Please note that during the Unrestricted Burning Period, permits to burn are not required so the online application function is turned off during this period.

Permit to Burn - online version

Please note that the online permit to burn function above is turned off during the Unrestricted Burning Period, as they are not required during this time.

Bush Fires in the Shire

When a fire is initially reported via a triple 0 call, the appropriate local fire brigade within the Shire will be contacted by triple 0 responders and asked to go to the scene of the reported fire to investigate.

From that point forwards, the Shire will take command of the fire and generally, most local bush fires will be extinguished by local brigades. However, in the event that a fire has grown in size to a particular level that exceeds local fire fighting resources, then the Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) will take command. In the event that this occurs, DFES will handle the public communications for the emergency. Members of the public wishing to find out information should: 

The Shire will assist DFES in communicating updates to the public. Generally this will be through the Shire's Facebook page. Other services may also be affected by the bush fire and in the first instance, the public should contact the responsible agency directly, i.e. Western Power (power outages), Mainroads WA (road closures), Telstra (phone/internet outages), etc. 

CAUTION - In the event of a emergency (such as a bush fire, flood, storm or other type of emergency), information obtained from private individuals may not be accurate. In the first instance refer to DFES and and then the Shire. The Shire will always relay updates from DFES when they are in command of the fire fighting effort.

We also recommend that the public stay off social media during an emergency unless it is to look for updates or ask a question of DFES or the Shire. Much of the information circulated via private community pages can contain inaccuracies that if heeded, could put your life in serious jeopardy. Please ensure that first and foremost you refer to

Local Emergency Management Arrangements

Emergencies don't have to be bush fires. They can also be flooding events, storms, etc. 

Every local government in WA is required to have a set of plans in place in the event of an emergency as per the Emergency Management Act 2005. These are generally known as Local Emergency Management Arrangements. The Shire's LEMA has been developed in consultation with the wider community by Shire staff and the Local Emergency Management Committee. This document is reviewed regularly to ensure it remains up to date. 

Local Emergency Management Arrangements


Contact the Shire's Community Emergency Services Manager/Chief Bush Fire Control Officer, Phil Barrett, on 0408 943 576 during office hours.